Immunisation FAQ’s

Written by In The Cove

Burns Bay Medical Lane Cove is a family friendly medical practice (ITC knows because our whole family goes there).  They are frequently asked about immunisation and how to access immunisation records.  We asked Burns Bay Medical to answer some Frequently Asked Questions about immunisation.

What Immunisation Records Do I Need to Produce To Enrol My Child in Child Care?

From 1 January 2018, parents must provide a copy of one or more of the following documents to enrol in a child care centre:

No other form of documentation is acceptable (i.e. the Blue Book). The documents must be stored by the child care director in a secure location for 3 years, unless a child transfers to another child care centre.

What Information is Required Before I Enrol My Child at Primary School?

Under the Public Health Act 2010 and the Public Health Regulation 2012, primary schools must request and record the immunisation status of each enrolled child.

The Immunisation History Statement (IHS) which is issued by the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) is required as proof of immunisation status for enrolment at school under the NSW Public Health Act 2010. The Personal Health Record (Blue Book) is not acceptable evidence.

If you can’t find this information or forget to provide it to your school, your child will be classified as not immunised and may be excluded from school if there is an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease in the school.

The IHS needs to be obtained by a parent or legal guardian of a child from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) and may be obtained by:

  • accessing your Mygov account;
  • by calling the AIR on 1800 653 809.

The quickest way to obtain the certificate is via your Mygov account as you can print it directly, as long as you are linked up to your Medicare account. If you opt to call AIR it would take a minimum of 10 working days before you receive the certificate in the post and mailed to the registered mailing address of the child’s Medicare card.

Schools do NOT accept immunisation summaries provided by medical practices, so it is a good idea to obtain certificates from your Mygov account or AIR as soon as possible.

What is the Immunisation Schedule?

You can view the Immunisation Schedule here and download if you would like to put the dates in your diary.

How Do I Book an Immunisation with Burns Bay Medical Practice?

Just call the practice on 9427 4855 to book an appointment with the Practice Nurse, preferably on a day that your regular doctor is on duty to see your child and oversee the process.

If you would like your child to have a health check at the same time, you will be required to book an appointment with the doctor prior to the immunisation appointment with the nurse.

After having received an immunisation, you will be required to wait in the surgery for 15 minutes as a precaution to ensure that your child does not have a reaction to the immunisation.  So it is a good idea to leave plenty of time and not to book another appointment elsewhere straight after the shot.

NSW Govt Announces free Flu Shots

From April 2018 all NSW children aged from six months to under five years of age will be offered free influenza shots. Parents will be able to access the free flu shot from Burns Bay Bay Medical.

The flu shot will reduce your child’s risk of influenza (flu), minimise the spread of flu and protect vulnerable groups including babies too young to receive the vaccine, those medically at risk and those with weakened immune systems.